Online Fraction Calculator by CalcuNation.com
Now you can Add Fractions, Subtract Fractions, Multiply Fractions, or Divide Fractions online. Find your answer in the simplest form with this Online Fraction Calculator.
How do you add fractions?
Adding fractions that have like denominators:• Simply add the numerators of the fractions.
• The denominator of the resulting fraction will be the common denominator of the fractions.
• Reduce the resulting fraction.
For example: a/b + d/b = (a + d)/b
7/17 + 9/17 = (7 + 9)/17
Adding fractions with different denominators:• If the denominators don’t match, Multiply the denominators together.
• Adjust your numerators (top numbers) accordingly. E.g. if you doubled the denominator, then double its numerator.
• Add together the numerators, and put this total over the common denominator.
• Simplify the fraction to the smallest possible denominator, with the numerators also reduced proportionately.
Example: a/b + c/d = (ad + cb)/bd
For adding the fractions 1/3 and 1/5,
1/3 + 1/5 = (1*5 + 1*3)/3*5 = 5+3/15 = 8/15
The sum 8/15 is already in its simplest form.